My Past Drinking Problem!

When I was a young
woman I married a
man who eventually
became an alcoholic.
He always drank a
lot even before we
married; but he
was charming, and
I was naive. I do
not blame him or
our friends for my
eventual drinking
problem, but since
most of our friends
drank a lot and we
were always
socializing with
them, it just
seemed sociable
for me to start
drinking a lot, too.
Eventually it got so
bad that I'd come
home from work,
and my husband
and I would just
drink all night. Or if
we went to a
restaurant that had
a band, we would
stay there, drinking,
until the place closed.

Then I started having
dreams about dying -
perhaps it was a
wake-up call from
God that he had a
better purpose for
my life? I told a
friend at work about
how those dreams
had scared me. She
suggested that I
start reading the Bible.
So, I began ignoring
the TV and started
spending hours
reading and studying
God's Holy Word; and
the more I read, the
more I felt like I
finally found what I
had been looking for.
I had accepted
Jesus Christ as
my Saviour when I
was 11 years old in
a church service, but
was never told how
to live for God
according to his
Holy Bible. Reading
God's Word made me
feel closer to Him. It
made me want to live
to please him. I
became so 'thirsty' for
learning more about
my loving, heavenly
Father from the Bible
that that was all I cared
to do at night after work
instead of watching TV.
It also meant that I quit
drinking because I
wanted to please God.
Being always
desensitized by
alcohol, I could not do
anything productive
with my life. Of course,
when I quit drinking,
my husband (now
since deceased) was
not pleased. But God
tells us in his Word
that we should desire
to please him rather
than trying to please
people!

Acts

5:29 Then Peter and
the other apostles
answered and said,
We ought to obey
God rather than men. 

The following Bible verses
sound like someone who
moves to stronger and
stronger drink, and
then it "stings" them
because they become
addicted. How well I
know!

Drinking socially just
because "everyone else
is doing it" is what will
lead you down that
slippery slope to
drinking too much,
and perhaps addiction,
like it did in my case
many years ago.

What does the Bible
say about drinking
wine and strong drink?
I wish that I had known
these verses before I
started drinking.

Isaiah
5:11 Woe unto them that
rise up early in the
morning, that they may
follow strong drink;
that continue until night,
till wine inflame them! 

5:22 *Woe unto them
that are mighty to drink
wine, and men of
strength to mingle
strong drink: 

[*Woe is a warning
from God that what we
are doing will bring to
us grief, anguish,
affliction,
wretchedness,
calamity, or trouble.]

Proverbs
23:29 Who hath woe?
who hath sorrow? who
hath contentions? who
hath babbling? who
hath wounds without
cause? who hath
redness of eyes?

23:30 They that tarry
long at the wine; they
that go to seek mixed
wine.

23:31 Look not thou
upon the wine when it
is red, when it giveth
his colour in the cup,
when it moveth itself
aright.

23:32 At the last it biteth
like a serpent, and
stingeth like an adder.

Proverbs

20:1 Wine is a mocker,
strong drink is raging:
and whosoever is
deceived thereby is
not wise.

God has a plan for your
life and mine to bring
glory to God.

Psalm
37:23 The steps of a
good man are ordered
by the LORD: and he
delighteth in his way.

37:24 Though he fall,
he shall not be utterly
cast down: for the
LORD upholdeth him
with his hand.

Ask God for his help.
He has Big Shoulders
to cry on!

1 Peter
5:7 Casting all your
care upon him; for he
careth for you.

5:8 Be sober, be
vigilant; because your
adversary the devil,
as a roaring lion,
walketh about, seeking
whom he may devour:

No problem is too big
for Him!

Luke 1:37 Jesus said:  
For with God nothing
shall be impossible.

And God Loves You!


John
3:16 For God so loved
the world, that he gave
his only begotten Son
[Jesus Christ],
that whosoever
believeth in him
should not perish, but
have everlasting life.

3:17 For God sent not
his Son into the world
to condemn the world;
but that the world
through him might be
saved.

Below are links to
several very good Chick
Publications very short
tracts related to this
subject of drinking
and addiction. I pray
that you will trust God
to help you focus on
him and his love for
you and not on your
earthly problems. He
is bigger than all of
your problems, and
very loving! Trust
him; and let him care
for you. God bless
you and keep you.

Link here for 'Happy Hour'

And if you want to 
know how to have 
your sins forgiven 
and go to heaven 
when you die, 
here is how.