Tips I learned Before + After Breast Cancer Surgery!

This was originally written 
in 2017 after I had double 
breast cancer surgery and 
during radiation treatments.

I have to applaud everyone at 
both Providence Medical 
Hospital in Newberg and 
St. Vincent's Hospital in 
Portland, Oregon, for always 
telling me ahead of time what 
I would be going through 
before they did any 
procedures. It helped 
lessen any anxiety I had 
about procedures I was 
not familiar with. If you 
have a different medical 
plan, ask your doctors 
questions to find out 
beforehand exactly 
what you will be going 
through. It will reduce 
your stress and anxiety 
about the procedures. 
And do not be afraid to 
tell them that they are 
hurting you during a 
procedure. I do that with 
the technicians who do 
my mammograms 
because they have no 
idea how hard they are 
pressing you. Be 
pro-active. Stick up 
for yourself! 

Also, everyone I met at 
Providence Medical Hospital 
and St. Vincent's Hospital 
during this cancer journey 
have been helpful and kind; 
and they did everything they 
could to make me as 
comfortable as possible 
during these procedures. 
I am so grateful that God 
blessed me with such 
wonderful people to help 
me through this cancer 
journey. 

I was not comfortable with 
male doctors, nurses, 
and technicians looking 
at or handling my breasts. 
I asked if I could have only 
female doctors and 
technicians treat me, 
and Providence Medical 
Hospitals accommodated 
me. But you have to 
speak up and tell them 
that is what you want. 

One tip for those who have had 
radiation treatments after 
breast cancer surgery.

I had 17 double doses of 
radiation treatments after 
surgery for cancer in both 
breasts and for the removal 
of 3 lymph nodes under 
each arm; so my underarms 
were radiated, too. 
Incidentally, radiation 
treatments do not hurt. It 
is just that afterwards, it is 
kind of like having gotten 
a bad sunburn. Further 
down in this post I give 
information on some 
healing cream that will 
help with that. 

Back to this helpful hint which is 
the reason for this update. One 
month after my last radiation 
treatment, I had an 
appointment with the oncologist 
to see how my skin was healing. 
She suggested that since my 
underarms were one of the 
warmest places on my skin 
(after all, that's not a normal 
place to get a sunburn) that 
perhaps sleeping with my arms 
over my head might help to get 
some air circulation to those 
areas. Well, having my arms in 
that position put my arms to 
sleep. So, now I sleep with my 
arms extended to my side 
leaving as much space as 
possible between my body 
and my arms, and that 
helps a lot so my underarms 
don't perspire as much 
during the night, thereby 
adding more heat to my 
already hot underarms. And 
by doing that, my arms do 
not go to sleep. So, happy 
camper. This may be an 
odd thing to post on, but I 
thought it might be helpful.

New information 5/1/17: 


Physical Therapy or Not 
After Surgery?
To make a long story short, a 
bi-product of surgery (and 
radiation) is scar tissue 
which is kind of like lumps 
in your breasts that are tender, 
painful, and very sore. My 
surgeon recommended that 
I go to a physical therapist 
for help with that. I did not 
understand how a P.T. could 
help so I just put it off. 
Eventually I did go to a P.T., 
and she told me that massage 
would help make the lumps go 
away a lot faster than waiting 
for them to naturally go away 
which could be a long time to 
put up with the painful lumps. 
My dear husband enjoyed 
the massaging!  :)

Just an FYI - I had 
lumpectomies done to 
both breasts (one in the 
milk duct and one that 
escaped the milk duct) 
and also three lymph 
nodes removed from 
under each arm. Your 
situation may be different, 
so I don't know if this 
information I'm sharing 
is helpful. I hope it is. 

I have had lots of soreness 
and tenderness, and a 
reduced range of motion 
in my arms (like lifting my 
arms up to put a tee shirt 
on). My surgeon told me 
last week that physical 
therapy will both help me 
regain full range of motion 
and flexibility and it will be 
helpful with overall breast 
pain. I went to the physical 
therapist and she gave me 
exercises to do that truly 
do help with the range of 
motion and the tenderness.

Plan Ahead Before Surgery

Why? Because after breast 
cancer surgery and after 
radiation treatments you do 
experience a great loss of 
energy, so planning ahead 
will be a tremendous help 
so you don't overtire yourself. 
The doctor stressed that 
it's important not to over-tire 
yourself during the healing 
process. 

So ahead of surgery I made 
two meatloaves and a roast 
chicken in order to be able 
to make easy noodle 
casseroles, stir fry, etc. I 
also bought easy stuff like 
frozen French fries and 
hot dogs; and I made sure 
I did a big grocery 
shopping order before 
surgery. This meant I did 
not have to push a heavy 
grocery cart around or 
lifting groceries in and 
out of the cart (because 
bending hurt) when I 
was sore after surgery. 

Update on Walmart food
shopping described below. 
Now they will deliver to 
your home. They won't
come in your house.
We put a chair with a 
big box on it so the 
delivery person can 
drop the groceries in it-
saves bending to pick
the food bags off the
ground. 

Also, my husband did research 
and found that Walmart will 
do your shopping for you - 
for no additional fee. You 
order your stuff online, pay 
for it there, and the store 
employees shop and pick 
out your groceries for you. 
Then you drive to the store 
and they bring your groceries 
outside and load them into 
your car. It helps tremendously 
to not have to push a shopping 
cart full of groceries or to lift 
your arms up high to lift stuff 
off of shelves. Just an FYI: 
Walmart sometimes will 
want to substitute items 
if they are out of the 
specific item you ask 
for, but you can opt to not 
have any substitutions. 
Be aware if you choose 
to not get substitutes, 
the store may not be able 
to supply that food item 
at all. But, what a blessing 
from God not to have to 
shop, especially when you 
just do not have the energy 
to do so. And I am grateful for 
my loving and thoughtful 
husband finding this service 
from Walmart. Other stores 
have this service, but may 
charge you a fee for what 
Walmart does for free. 

How to Reduce Lifting 
after Surgery
Because I was told ahead of 
time that I would have some 
soreness after surgery and 
after radiation treatments, 
plus I would have some 
reduction in my range of 
motion and flexibility; I 
planned ahead. I put pans, 
plastic bowls, and kitchen 
utensils that I use frequently 
onto the kitchen counter so 
they were within easy reach. 
That way I didn't have to 
raise my arms above my 
head (to get things out of 
the cupboards), nor to 
reach down to get stuff in 
lower kitchen drawers. I 
wasn't worried that the 
kitchen would look 'messy' 
because the pans were on 
the counter. Who cares? It 
is more important to do what 
is best for your body while 
you are healing. 

Facing Surgery and 
Perhaps Death? 
When I faced double breast 
cancer surgery, and possibly 
death, I was not afraid 
because I know Jesus Christ 
as my personal Saviour. 
Trust God's Holy Word, the 
King James Bible, that 
says when we believers 
die, we will be immediately 
in the presence of our 
Precious Lord and Saviour, 
Jesus Christ, who died for 
our sins and rose from the 
dead. What freedom to not 
ever be afraid of what 
comes after death again! 

2 Corinthians 5:8

We are confident, I say, and 
willing rather to be absent 
from the body, and to be 
present with the Lord. 

Romans 10:9

That if thou shalt confess 
with thy mouth the Lord 
Jesus, and shalt believe in 
thine heart that God hath 
raised him from the dead, 
thou shalt be saved.

Lots of Questions?

Providence Medical Hospitals 
will give you contact 
information for a 'Nurse 
Navigator' who will answer 
all your questions as you go 
through this cancer journey. 
Getting answers will take 
away the mysteries of this 
experience that were totally 
new to me, and could have 
been frightening perhaps or 
just uncomfortable. When 
fear of the unknown is 
taken away, you can be 
more at ease, which will 
help the procedures go 
more smoothly and help 
you recover more quickly. 
It is important not to be 
stressed during the healing 
process. 

Financial Aid
At Providence St. Vincent's 
Hospital in Portland, 
Oregon (where I had my 
pre-surgery preparation 
and radiation therapy after 
surgery), I asked the 
Social Worker in the 
Radiation Department how 
I could apply for financial 
aid. (Radiation treatments 
are expensive.) She 
personally walked me 
to the Finance 
Department, and 
they gave me all the 
paperwork I needed to 
fill out and apply for aid.

Get plenty of sleep!
With lots of tests, surgery, 
radiation, chemotherapy, 
stress, or whatever this new 
experience entails for you, it 
will take a lot of energy out 
of you. Plenty of sleep helped 
me a lot! Since this journey 
began, I have been sleeping 
a lot more than I normally do; 
but my sleep is gradually 
getting back to normal as I 
progress through recovery.

Do Not Tire Yourself Out! 

My oncologist told me that it is 
important not to over-tire 
myself. I was surprised at 
how quickly I pooped out 
after surgery and during 
radiation treatments just 
from doing regular physical 
activities or household chores. 
So, I started to pace myself. I 
would alternate physical 
house work with sitting-down 
work, like computer work or
writing letters. And although I 
still pooped out sooner than I 
wanted, I somehow got 
the necessary household 
chores done. 

Remember, the unnecessary 
housework will wait! Just 
make sure that the 
bathroom is clean and 
things are put away. Your 
recovery will go faster if 
you do not stress yourself 
out worrying about how the 
house looks if someone drops 
by. Your good friends and 
your loved ones will 
understand. They are not 
coming to look at your house; 
they want to see you and 
how you are doing. I was 
always worrying about that; 
but your health and 
recovery is, for now, a priority. 
Take care of your health. If 
you are all worn out from 
housecleaning, you will 
not be able to enjoy the 
time spent with your 
friends and loved ones 
when they do visit!

Do not be afraid to ask for 
help from loved ones or 
friends.
I have been blessed by God 
because my loving husband 
(without asking) has helped 
me tremendously by taking 
care of all the insurance 
papers (which I do not 
understand), the hospital 
bills, the doctor and 
insurance phone calls, 
and setting up 
appointments; plus he 
helps me with other 
household duties, i.e., 
meal preparation, etc. 
He has been incredible! 
He takes all the annoying 
stuff off of me, and lets me 
focus on getting through 
the tests, treatments and 
recovery. 

Remember, that we are all 
different and recover at 
different rates.
As far as energy level goes, 
just remember that we are all 
different, so your energy 
level may be more or less 
than mine. I am just an old 
(but young at heart) chick of 
68; and I spend more time 
sitting, working on my 
Christian blogs, than I 
do exercising; so you may 
be more used to exercise 
than I am and you may 
have much more energy 
than I have had going 
through this cancer 
recovery process. 

Also, remember that I had 
lumpectomies, not 
mastectomies, so the kind 
of surgery you have, 
obviously, will affect how 
your energy level is, and 
how fast your recovery 
will be. 

Just remember that 
someday this will all be a 
memory. 

Take it one day at a time. 

And speaking of that thought, 
here is a link to a post on 
this blog to the music and 
lyrics of a song called 'One 
Day At A Time'. I hope 
that you are uplifted by 
this song, too. Link here.

Jesus said that we should 
not worry about tomorrow.

Matthew 6:34  

Take therefore no thought 
for the morrow: for the 
morrow shall take thought 
for the things of itself. 
Sufficient unto the day 
is the evil thereof.

October 2017 - During recovery 
from radiation treatments I 
asked my oncologists (at 
Providence Newberg Medical 
Hospital and at St. Vincent's 
Hospital) and they both said 
that the time for recovery from 
the burning and hot skin to 
stop after radiation treatments 
varies from patient to patient. 
also heard different people 
working at the hospital who told 
me what some of their patients 
told them recovery can be 
anywhere from several months 
to several years. But, I believe 
it could all depend on the 
patient. If you are young and 
healthy, you may heal a lot 
faster than I am doing 
because I'm almost 69. 
It's been 8 months* for me 
and the heat and burning 
have finally slowed down. My 
husband now only has to 
apply Aquaphor (fragrance 
free) once a day instead 
of twice. Although sometimes 
I'll wake up at night and may 
need to apply a little more 
cream to my underarms, 
which is the slowest to heal 
since they don't get much 'air'. 

*3/18/19 - It is now been a little 
over two years and I still need 
the Aquaphor at least once 
every day or sometimes 
every other day.) So, the 
burning is slowing down.

But do not get discouraged.

Keep on applying whatever 
cream you choose to use and 
you will see progress. It is 
a bit inconvenient to be 
covered in that greasy 
cream all day, but it is 
worth it to heal your skin 
and get relief from the heat. 

And when I would get 
impatient with the process, 
I just keep thanking God for 
the treatments which I know 
have helped keep the cancer 
at bay. I know the treatments 
were for my good so I 
should just take it one 
day at a time. 

Also, another hint that might 
be helpful - check online to 
compare prices and you can 
probably get a better price 
on the Aquaphor (or 
whatever cream you 
decide to use) than by just 
buying it at some local store. 
For the last 8+ months we 
have gone through two 14 
ounce containers of 
Aquaphor every month. 
My husband said if he had 
known how much of the 
Aquaphor we would use 
during this process, he 
would have bought a 
case of it in the beginning. 

Aquaphor Healing Ointment
This stuff is great. It was 
recommended by the nurses at 
St. Vincent's Radiation 
Department. They had other 
choices to recommend; but 
you can get this one in 
Fragrance-Free! My husband 
buys this in a big tub online. 
He rubs it on my breasts and 
underarms twice a day (since 
it is hard to reach with my 
limited flexibility during healing. 
It greatly cools the heat from 
the radiation. Here is a link 
to Aquaphor online. Link here.

Incidentally, radiation 
continues to work long 
after the treatments end 
so the heat and burning 
is a sign the radiation is 
working to keep the 
cancer at bay! 

Sleeveless Tee Shirts 
Are a Great Help
This Aquaphor ointment is 
greasy because it is thick and 
cooling and it stays on so well 
to give your skin time to heal. 
But I did not want to ruin good 
tee shirts because of the 
grease; so I cut the sleeves 
off of some old ones. Being 
sleeveless helps to me get 
some air to my perspiring 
underarms which were 
also affected by the radiation 
treatments. 

Two baby-sized pillows 
with removable pillow cases 
are so needed! 
These were super helpful! First, 
I used them on the day of 
surgery. They sent me home 
the same day (which may or 
may not be the case for you. 
It all depends on how quickly 
you recover after the surgery 
ends, and if you can walk 
out of the hospital). These 
pillows helped keep the seat 
belt from hurting my tender 
breasts and underarms on 
the ride home. 

Since then, I have used them 
to keep heavy bed blankets 
from pressing on my chest 
which is still tender from the 
radiation treatments. Just 
clothing touching my skin is 
uncomfortable as the 
radiation is like getting a 
bad sunburn. 

I also sometimes put one of 
these little pillows under my 
tee shirt to keep the material 
from rubbing my nipples 
(which really got burnt 
during radiation) which 
get irritated as I move, 
especially if the shirt is too 
snug. 

To Take Anti-hormone Pills
 or not? 
More than a month after I had 
had my last radiation treatment, 
I met with the oncologist. She 
said that hormones encourage 
cancer to grow and so she 
wanted to give me 
anti-hormone pills as an 
added preventative to keep 
the cancer away from those 
cancer-prone areas. She 
gave me details about several 
different anti-hormone pills; 
but recommended one in 
particular. She said that I'd 
have to take these pills for 
5-10 years! She also wanted 
me to come back after I had 
started taking them to 
discuss the side effects 
I would be experiencing 
from the pill. Red Flag! 
went home and read about 
this pill she recommended 
online; and yikes! It had 
some very scary side effects! 
One of which was that it 
may cause endometrial 
cancer! Hello! Why, if I am 
trying to combat breast 
cancer, am I going to put 
something into my body 
for 5-10 years that could 
cause a different kind of 
cancer? So, I emailed my 
oncologist; and respectfully 
declined taking that pill - 
or anything like it. 

A Housecoat or Robe 
when you are bra-less
I do not usually wear a 
housecoat or a robe; but I 
think one of these will be 
great as a covering in order 
to be dressed modestly 
whenever we get company 
during this recovery time 
when it is too uncomfortable 
to wear a bra, and also while 
my chest and underarms are 
slathered with greasy cream.

1 Timothy  

2:9 In like manner also, that 
women adorn themselves in 
modest apparel, with 
shamefacedness and 
sobriety; not with *broided 
hair, or gold, or pearls, or 
costly array; (*braided)

2:10 But (which becometh 
women professing 
godliness) with good works.

3-3-2019 Update:
It has been over two years 
since my last radiation 
treatment, and I still get 
burning in my skin. But, do 
not get discouraged. The 
radiation is burning the 
cancer out of your body, so 
that is a good thing. Also, an 
added bonus - it took away a 
lot of the moles I had on my 
chest which were in the way 
when they took 
mammograms. We started 
with 2 tubs of Aquaphor a 
month or more. Now we 
are down to 1 or 1-1/2 
tubs a month. So, you 
might want to buy a 
quantity of whatever 
cream you use. 

And this is for anyone 
who would like to go to 
heaven when you die, 
but don't know how.

How can I be saved 
from my sins and know
that I will go to heaven
when I die? God's Holy 
Word, the King James 
Bible, tells us how:

Agree with God in  
heaven that you are 
sinner and need 
Saviour. GOD SAYS 
WE ARE ALL 
SINNERS. But keep 
reading because 
there is Good News 
for you: 

Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, 
and come short of the
glory of God;

Believe that Jesus 
Christ, the Sinless Son 
of God, shed his blood
on the cross to pay 
for your sins (and 
mine). Three days later 
He rose from the dead. 

Romans 10:9  
That if thou shalt confess 
with thy mouth the Lord 
Jesus, and shalt believe 
in thine heart that God 
hath raised him from 
the dead, thou shalt 
be saved. 

Repent of trusting in 
anything or anyone 
other than Jesus
Christ (i.e. baptism, 
good works, money/tithes
man-made church rules 
or traditions, or religious 
ceremonies) to save you.

Titus 3:5
Not by works of
righteousness which we 
have done, but according 
to his mercy he saved us, 
by the washing of 
regeneration, and 
renewing of the Holy 
Ghost;

Jesus said that we do 
not get to heaven by our
good works (stuff we
have done). See verses
7:22 and 7:23 below!

Matthew
7:21 Not every one that 
saith unto me, Lord, 
Lord, shall enter into 
the kingdom of heaven; 
but he that doeth the 
will of my Father which 
is in heaven. 

7:22 Many will say to 
me in that day, Lord, 
Lord, have we not 
prophesied in thy 
name? and in thy 
name have cast 
out devils? and in 
thy name done 
many wonderful 
works? 

7:23 And then will I 
profess unto them, 
I never knew you: 
depart from me, ye 
that work iniquity. 

Accept God's Free 
Gift of eternal life 
through his Sinless 
Son, the Lord Jesus 
Christ. It is a free gift 
to you, but it cost Jesus
Christ his life! You do 
not have to work to 
earn a Gift - It is free!

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is 
death; but the gift of 
God is eternal life 
through Jesus Christ 
our Lord.

God tells us that as 
many as received 
Jesus Christ as their
Saviour and believed 
on his name (trusted
him as Saviour), he 
gave them power to 
become the sons 
(and daughters) of 
God the Father in 
heaven! 

John 1:12
But as many as received 
him [trusted Jesus], to
them gave he power to 
become the sons of God, 
even to them that 
believe on his name.

So, if you confessed to
God in heaven that you 
are a sinner in need of
a Saviour, and you 
believe that Jesus Christ
died for your sins and 
that God raised him 
from the dead, then 
you shall be saved. 

Romans 10:9  
That if thou shalt confess 
with thy mouth the Lord 
Jesus, and shalt believe 
in thine heart that God 
hath raised him from 
the dead, thou shalt 
be saved. 

And when you die, you 
will go straight to heaven
to be with Jesus Christ 
forever and ever! The
following Bible verse
is one of my favorites.
It gave me comfort when
I went through double
breast cancer surgery
for I knew that if I died
on the operating table
I would immediately be
in heaven with Jesus!
Knowing that is why I
no longer fear what 
comes after death. 
What freedom there is 
in knowing that.

2 Corinthians 5:8  
We are confident, I say, 
and willing rather to be 
absent from the body, 
and to be present with 
the Lord.

One note to all dear 
Catholics: The Catholic
church says that it is 
wrong to believe that 
you can know you are 
saved before you die. 
Please think about
this: God is a God of 
love. After all he sent
his Son to die for your
sins so you could be
with him in heaven for
eternity! That is love!
Why would a God of love
want you to worry all of
your life whether you will 
go to heaven or hell when
you die? God in heaven 
wants us to have peace 
and joy in this life as we 
live for him and draw 
others to him as their 
Saviour. Only a cruel 
God would want us 
worried and stressed 
about what comes after 
death. But GOD LOVES
YOU and wants you to 
have peace knowing that
you are saved now and 
can know now that you 
are going to heaven when
you die! Please trust your
loving heavenly Father's 
Holy Word (the King James
Bible) when God tells you 
that you will be with Him 
after death if you trusted
Jesus Christ as your 
Saviour!

And now that you have 
become a Christian, it
is important to learn how
to live a life that glorifies
God in heaven who gave
you the Gift of salvation.
Link below to my Bible
study on 'What Do I Do
Now That I Am Saved?'



I hope that these tips 
will be helpful to you 
as you go through 
your cancer journey. 
God bless and keep 
you! 

And here is a link to my 
post 'I Have Cancer And 
I Am Not Afraid To Die'. 
Link here.

And here is a link to my 
post 'Older Women Can 
Get Breast Cancer - A 
Mammogram Saved 
My Life'. Link here.