The Bible on Controlling Our Words

Boy, this is a biggie for me! I 
am always ready to comment 
negatively on someone or 
something. Even if it's just 
on a television show, I'm 
sure it's not pleasant for 
my husband to hear my 
negative thoughts. I need 
the Holy Spirit to help me l
earn some of these Bible 
verses so the next time I 
think of something that is 
not edifying, I will keep 
my mouth shut! 
remember a saying I saw 
somewhere online that 
said something like, 'Dear 
God, today please keep 
one hand on my shoulder 
and the other hand over 
my mouth!' Here is an 
appropriate Bible verse 
from King David that I 
pray will help me think 
before I speak so my 
words are positive and 
helpful to others. The 
last verse in this post is
especially valuable to
memorize and live by!

(Bold in Scripture 
verses is for emphasis.)

Psalm 119:11  
Thy word [the Bible] have 
I hid in mine heart, that I 
might not sin against thee. 

Matthew 12:36 Jesus said:
But I say unto you, That 
every idle word that men 
shall speak, they shall 
give account thereof in 
the day of judgment.

What follows are just a few 
of the many verses in the 
Bible that show us why 
the LORD does not want 
us to be gossips, or even 
someone whose words 
are negative, worthless, 
or unkind instead of 
edifying (uplifting). 
Some of the reasons 
God commands us to 
use edifying words is 
because gossip and 
negative talk has 
consequences. Those 
words can...

1) hurt others, 
2) separate friends, 
3) ruin our Christian witness, 
4) tear down people instead 
of building them up, and 
5) as James said in James 
1:26 below that if we do not 
control our words, then we 
are just fooling ourselves 
because our religion is 
vain (having no value or
importance). 

James 1:26 
If any man among you 
seem to be religious, 
and bridleth [controls] not 
his tongue, but deceiveth 
his own heart, this 
man's religion is vain. 

Leviticus 19:16 
Thou shalt not go up and 
down as a talebearer 
among thy people: neither 
shalt thou stand against 
the blood of thy neighbour: 
I am the LORD. 

Proverbs
16:28  A froward [disobedient] 
man soweth strife [opposition 
in anger; etc.]: and
whisperer separateth 
chief friends. 

Proverbs 18:8 
The words of a talebearer 
are as wounds, and they 
go down into the innermost 
parts of the belly. 


Ephesians 4:29 
Let no corrupt 
communication proceed 
out of your mouth, but 
that which is good to 
the use of edifying, that it 
may minister grace unto 
the hearers.